Black & White was first produced by the London-based whisky blender founded by James Buchanan. Originally known as House of Commons(it was the official whisky there) its nickname, referring to the black and white labelling, was eventually adopted as the official brand instead.
The brand's motif featuring a black Scottish Terrier and a white West Highland Terrier was conceived by Buchanan himself during the 1890s.
After a series of mergers and acquisitions involving Dewar's (1915), Distillers Company and Guinness, the brand is now owned by Diageo. It is claimed to be most successful in France, Venezuela and Brazil.
This is an antique bottling of Buchanan's Black & White from the 1960s or 1970s. It is a German import.